This Blog is

Wednesday 8 June 2011

Just a Thought

These days, "educated" is a dirty word. People have built a culture around ignorance, and it seems as if they're proud of it. Party lines are drawn at birth, and rational discussions have been replaced by "talking points". The media is a circus on the verge of believing their own hype. The Internet has allowed people to insulate themselves in their own little worlds, and nothing outside the home is safe anymore.


We need to take a step back. Or maybe forward, I'm not sure. I haven't been alive that long. All I know is that I don't want to live in the Twitterverse. I want to see and do everything I can. I want to hear opinions that differ from my own. I want to challenge everyone and everything, especially myself. I know there are amazing people everywhere, and I want to meet them and hear their stories.


Call this "Reinventing Keith Olberman."


Journalists have become lazy, collecting 140 Character PR statements and then putting a spin on them. This is not acceptable. Our job is not to regurgitate half-truths. Our job is to find the stories, the opinions and the art that will push us forward as individuals and as a society, then bring them to the public. That's what I'm trying to do with this blog. I know there are journalists out there who want to bring real stories to people who are dying to read them. Go ahead, call us educated elites, we'll wear that title proudly.

No comments:

Post a Comment