This Blog is

Tuesday 21 June 2011

SOTD: La Dispute- "Last Blues for Bloody Knuckles"




My inagural song of the day fits rather well with my sentiments on marriage, which I will hopefully share with you later today. This song comes from La Dispute's 2008 full length Somewhere at the Bottom of the River Between Vega and Altair. I've also included a reformatted, unplugged version from LD's recent split with Koji for those of you who are less hardcore inclined.

"Last Blues" is an excellent example of why La Dispute is easily in my top five right now. Their ability to seamlessly stitch mood, dynamics, technical proficiency and a variety of different influences into balls-out hardcore songs is unparalleled by their contemporaries. Most of the complaints against this band start with Jordan Dreyer's vocals. That's also where most of the complaints end; La Dispute is one of the most versatile, meticulous and well read bands in modern hardcore, and their effort shines through in their work. Somewhere at the Bottom of the River... is arguably the most forward thinking hardcore album since The Shape of Punk to Come. I really can't say enough good things about these guys, so I'll just shut up and let the music do the talking.

2 comments:

  1. Just to preface so I don't come off sounding too hateful. Firstly the song off Altair is an absolutely shining example of a well composed dynamic song and nothing in the following will take away from that, though, with that said...

    I will say that I find he acoustic version off the KoJi split is lacking the beauty of the original namely the dynamics which really push it over edge from a good song to an absolutely "killer track". Even the other (La Dispute) song on the split reminds me of an American Football song, sans the instrumentation that makes American Football so damn good.

    Secondly I don't think many people would argue for it being the most forward thinking since Refused's masterpiece. Since then we've had As the Roots Undo, Jupiter and Relationship of Command all albums that I'd argue have pushed the boundaries of the genre far more than this.

    Now I'm happy that there are bands out there who are taking influence from the earlier "screamo" (I'm not even sure what that genre entails anymore it used to entail this or pretty damn close.) bands and updating it with the tapestries of modern day. I kinda wish bands like Gospel could still be around for launches like this since they tried to get this off the ground.

    Also as to Dreyer's voice; he's literally the reason for half the audience of this band. So many girls were swooning over him when they played with Defeater it actually detracted from the show this is a band who begs for singalongs and it was an avenue that was left pretty untapped. Hoping the crowd with B+C and Touché Amoré will be better but even if not after seeing Touche this weekend they'll be awesome no matter what.

    Carry on the good work regardless of the drivel I'm spouting above. Band is awesome seeing them yet again with Touché will also rock.

    Notes: Singalongs being a non-hyphenated word blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I'm just glad somebody's reading my stuff.

    ReplyDelete