This Blog is

Friday 18 January 2013

TILT: The Plot in You- Could You Watch Your Children Burn (1/18/13)


Artist: The Plot in You
Album: Could You Watch Your Children Burn
Label: Rise (2013)
Key Jams: "Shyann Weeps"

The Skinny: The Plot in You are a Rise Records metalcore band from Ohio. That last sentence doubles as both a band bio and description of their sound. They aren't extremely heavy, but they aren't one of those Jonny Craig bands either; they kind of find that middle ground between chuggishness and clean parts. Could You Watch Your Children Burn (no question mark?) is their second full length album. According to Wikipedia, the band's singer plays all the instruments (except the drums) on the record.

Pros: Cool riffs, well produced, not a lot of boring ass chugging, lyrics are good for a few laughs.
Cons: Not a whole lot of structure going on here, this guy might be a serial killer.

The Verdict: Hmmm...

Let me preface this by saying after playing in a metalcore band, I've come to appreciate this kind of music when it's done well. Unfortunately, this is not done well. Somebody needs to sit down with these dudes (this dude?) and explain to them the importance of song structure, because apparently they missed that part of "Being a Musician 101." The first five songs sound like the band rehearsing by playing a bunch of unrelated riffs in succession. Also, it's a good thing I have no intention of ever moving to Findlay, Ohio, because judging by the lyrics the singer is the kind of guy who would call his exes' new dude at three in the morning crying and pleading with him to "treat her better than I did, maaaan..." before killing a squirrel and sending it to him in the mail. 

All that being said, the producer must have busted some Adderal into the studio when they were recording the end of the album, because a couple of the later tracks are worth a listen. My favourite is "Shyann Weeps"; The lyrics are goofy as fuck, but the song has traces of discernable structure, which is nice. Selling point: the white nerd version of the "Hit 'Em Up" call-out at the end: "fuck you/fuck your family/fuck any of your friends/and fuck your dumb tattoos." Fucking classic.

2 comments:

  1. Landon is a total one man band. Something I can respect. I personally would say this band is better than average because for some reason I can relate to the lyrics as goofy as they are in some spots. I also agree about what you said about Shyann Sleeps being the highlight. I also really fancy Digging My Own Grave and Population Control. Yes, the album does get lighter in the last few songs, but I honestly don't mind. It's funny you review this album because I was going to do the same. I just think I'm more of a fan of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the end of the album a lot more than the beginning. The last three or four songs are fairly cohesive and have some dynamics that are fairly experimental for this genre of music. Also, big ups for his guitar playing (read: not chugging the open note and actually writing riffs)and the production on the album (although tbh I'd be surprised if a Rise album sounded like shit). That being said, I found the beginning of the album a chore to get through. To each their own, i guess.

      Delete