This Blog is

Saturday 2 January 2016

End of a Year 2015: Albums

Hey, I just wanna give a shoutout to all the greedy recording artists and label execs who pull all their music off of Youtube, forcing me to link illegitimate soundclouds that will probably cease to exist in a couple of weeks. Thanks for making it hard for people to give you free promotion, you troglodytes!

Here are the 10 best albums of 2015:

the Weeknd
10. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside: An Album by Earl Sweatshirt (Tan Cressida/Columbia)

This album probably would've been ranked higher, if I wasn't too busy liking shit and going outside to listen to it all year.

Listen to "Faucet"


9. The Weeknd - Beauty Behind the Madness (XO/Republic)

And the winner for "album playing during the most coke-fuel sexcapades, 2015 edition" goes to...

Listen to "Acquainted"


8. Title Fight - Hyperview (ANTI-)

I just want everyone to know Pitchfork gave this album a 7.6, which is the highest conceivable score those butt-sniffers will give a non-gimmick punk band. I also want everyone to know this isn't even really a punk album, so stop being a herb and listen to it.

Listen to "Murder Your Memory"

Self Defense Family
7. Freddie Gibbs - Shadow of a Doubt (ESGN/Empire Distribution)

If you ever find yourself thinking, "man, I really like Future, but I wish I could understand what the fuck he was saying," Gangster Gibbs is probably your man.

Listen to "Careless"


6. Future - DS2 (A1/Freebandz/Epic)

If you ever find yourself thinking, "man, I really like Freddie Gibbs, but I wish I couldn't understand what the fuck he was saying," Future is probably your man.



5. Self Defense Family - Heaven is Earth (Deathwish)

This is the best album to date from a band who puts out a lot of albums.


Young Thug
4. Quentin Miller  Drake - If You're Reading This it's Too Late (Cash Money)

2015: the year Drake became a meme.



3. Young Thug - Barter 6 (300/Atlantic)

Fwagatwagabrrapojaba-kakakaka-raks-raks-raaaaaaaaaaaks (wut?) bhaaeeeyaah-whagablagaboochie (blap-blap-SKREEEEEE) tdsafagjadboifagiea-eee-ee-groceriiieeeeeeeeezzzze (tugga-tugga-twAAH)



2. Taylor Swift - 1989 (Big Machine)

Did I put this album at number two because it was released in 2014, or do I actually like it less than the album I put at number one? Tune in five years from now, to my End of the Decade special, to find out!


War on Women
1. War on Women - War on Women (Bridge 9)

PSA to anyone born after 1985: It's the year 2015. If you don't fuck with hardcore and feminism by now, either read a book or kill yourself. As for the album - the lyrics are provocative and often hilarious, the guitar is super-catchy, the drumming is really tight, and I can't hear the bass in the mix. 10/10.



Honourable Mention:

Big Sean - Dead Sky Paradise
Meek Mill - Dreams Worth More Than Money
Jazz Cartier - Marauding in Paradise
Kid Ink - Full Speed
Wiki - Lil' Me
The Story So Far - S/T
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

No comments:

Post a Comment