This Blog is

Saturday 6 August 2022

What are your top 3 favourite Power Trip records?


August marks two years since Power Trip's frontman Riley Gale passed away. He was, from all accounts, a friend to many in our scene. I never got to meet him, but his band's music was my gateway into extreme metal. Power Trip never put out a bad record, so picking one favourite is surely a debate worth having. Here are my top three, in descending order.


3. Nightmare Logic - Southern Lord, 2017.

This is probably Power Trip's consensus "best record". It features "Executioner's Tax", the band's breakout hit and most iconic song. It's also the record that catapulted them from hardcore darling status to big room metal co-headliners. I think it's their most consistent effort. There's not a bad song on here. Lyrically, it contains some of the bands fiercest and most poignant political ideas. It's critically acclaimed and heralded as one of the 2010's best metal records. I love Nightmare Logic, and the fact that I put it this high just goes to show how deep Power Trip's catalog is. This is their heaviest and hardest record for sure.



2. Manifest Decimation - Southern Lord, 2013

I have this record neck and neck with Nightmare Logic, and could probably swap them depending on the day. I think Manifest Decimation is a less consistent effort. There are a couple parts on here that I think drag. That being said, the highs on this record are as high as Power Trip ever gets. My taste aligns better with the production on this record as well. I think it's just a bit grimier. The guitars sound more like Iron Age's Sleeping Eye, which has one of my favourite hardcore guitar tones ever. There are also really catchy moments all over this record. Nightmare Logic is a steady stream of great music. Manifest Decimation has peaks and valleys, but the highs are too high to ignore.


1. Power Trip - Lockin' Out, 2011

I probably sound like some corny hipster taking the 7" over the LPs. Hey, at least I didn't pick the demo. To be honest this list was hard as hell to pick. Power Trip is nothing if not consistent. I picked the S/T EP as my number one choice because pound for pound, riff for riff, this record is unbeatable. There isn't a single second I would change on this EP. It has two of Power Trip's best tracks and a really awesome cover. I also give it points for being on Lockin' Out because I'm a LO fanboy. There's not much else to say about a perfect three song EP other than it fuckin rips and I love it.

So that's my ranking for top 3 Power Trip records. Bonus content -- here are my top five songs.

5. Divine Apprehension
4. Executioner's Tax
3. Crossbreaker
2. Suffer No Fool
1. Hammer of Doubt (Ideally the AHC version but the MD one slaps too).

What do you guys think?



No comments:

Post a Comment